The Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation are the Traditional Owners of the land that is now known as Moreland. Wurundjeri people spoke the Woiwurrung language. They take their name from the word wurun meaning Manna Gum (Eucalyptus viminalis) which is common along Birrarung (Yarra River), and djeri, a grub found in the tree.
For thousands of years before European settlement, this land provided an important source of water and food for the Aborigines who hunted in the area. The Wurundjeri did not ‘own’ the land in the European sense of the word, but belonged to, or were ‘owned by’ the land. They did not live in permanent settlements but camped for periods within defined clan boundaries where food was plentiful, and moved on when the land needed to rejuvenate. The land provided all the Wurundjeri needed – food, water, medicine, shelter – and they treated it with respect.
In the years following British colonisation, the Indigenous population declined dramatically under the impact of new diseases, open warfare, dispossession, the lack of food and water and the almost complete breakdown of the traditional way of life and culture. In Victoria, the government provided Coranderrk (located 50km north-east of Melbourne), as a government reserve for Indigenous people who had been dispossessed of their traditional lands between 1863 and 1924. The reserve was formally closed in 1924, with most residents removed to Lake Tyers Mission.
In 1912, the army accepted Coburg Borough Council’s offer of land for a drill hall at a peppercorn rental for five hundred years.The hall was officially opened by Senator Miller, Minister for Defence, on 27 Feburary 1914. In 1975, Councillor Murray Gavin discovered that it was illegal for Councils to lease land for longer than ten years, so, after some considerable hesitation, the army was asked to vacate. The hall was demolished in November 1987 and the newly cleared and planted land opened as Robinson Reserve, July 1988.
At first, the council planned to use the old house as a caretaker’s cottage, but Councillor Paul Huckin and the community services manager, Ms Carol Mathew, recognised it could be developed as a Neighbourhood House. The first Neighbourhood Houses/Community Centres had opened in Victoria in 1973, and by 1988 there were almost three hundred in operation. Later that year, the House was officially opened by Councillor Murray Gavin.
The Coburg Courier reported on Wednesday 13th July 1988 (page 7) that the newly elected committee of the Robinson Reserve Neighbourhood House, wanted the community to decide on the sort of activities to be held at the house. ‘Community input’ was the catch phrase. Playgroups, community lunches and English as a second language were already among those on the books. As well as recreational and educational programs, community groups could use the house for meetings. This article includes a photograph of the house participants and a few children. The original article is available in print format only at the local history room in Coburg Public Library.
The following photographs are provided by the Coburg Historical Society :
Robinson Reserve History
The book entitled ‘City of Coburg – Register of Reserves’ by G.W. Harman dated 30th November 1976, which is available through the Coburg Historical Society, states that the Reserve with an area of 1.02 hectares, was named after John Robinson who was a councillor from 1922 to 1932 and was mayor in 1925/26. The following images are from page 36 in this book :
Mayor Cr. John Robinson :
The Coburg Army Drill Hall:
A brief history on Robinson Reserve based on details as recorded in theCoburg Historical Society Newsletter No. 11 dated 21st October 1987 :
The Army movement originally wanted a local sporting body to take over the use of the Reserve when they were told to vacate, but instead the Coburg Council decided that the Reserve should be retained as a park for the use of Coburg residents. Under the request of Mayor Councillor Murray Gavin, the Research Section of the Coburg Historical Society found out that the Reserve was part of the original Crown Portion 140 owned by the original Crown Grantee, John Pascoe Fawkner. During J.P. Fawkner’s ownership, the reserve which was an allotment of 2.5 acres, changed ownership a number of times before the Metropolitan Permanent Building Society who owned the land for 21 years, sold it to the Borough of Coburg on 7th November 1908. More details available in the newsletter attachment About Robinson Reserve
Apparently, the Moreland Reserve Committee of adjoining residents raised objections because they did not want a drill hall so close in proximity to their residences. The Coburg Council countered with an offer to the Army of as much land as the Army wanted of the 2.5 acres in Reynard Road for as long as they wanted, at a peppercorn rental of one shilling per year. For more details, see the following news articles:
The Coburg Drill Hall was erected by the Defence Department at a cost of £1500 in Reynard Road, for the use of the senior cadets of Area 59 for the 59th Regt. when formed, and later on for a battery of Field Artillery. It was officially opened by the Minister of Defence, Senator Millen, on Friday 27 February 1914. Read more in the following news article:
The Coburg Council was congratulated on its action in granting land for 500 years to the Defence Department at a peppercorn rental for the erection and maintenance of a drill hall. At the opening ceremony, the Minister of Defence, Senator Millen gave a speech that was characterised by firm and reasoned patriotism which together formed the most impressive feature of the whole defence movement. It had the endorsement of both parties, in the Federal House, and that of the public. Read more in the following news article:
Two years after the Coburg Council agreed to lease to the Defence Department the site for a drill hall for a period of 500 years from 1st April 1913 at a peppercorn rental, the Registrar of Titles of the State of Victoria questioned the legality of the municipality to grant such a lease and refused to sign the lease. An application was made before the high court for a mandamus to compel the Registrar of Titles to register the lease but the court dismissed the application. For more details, see the following news articles:
The inaugural ceremony in connection with the formation of the 59th Battalion (Brunswick and Coburg) with the inclusion of the 1897 quota of senior cadets, as a unit of the Commonwealth citizen forces, was celebrated in the Coburg Drill Hall, Reynard road. Read more in the following news article:
Robinson Reserve Neighbourhood House would like to acknowledge and thank :
– The National Library of Australia for allowing us to access the above digitised news articles via Trove
– The Coburg Historical Society for providing us with old photographs and newsletters for our reference
– The Coburg Library for providing us with access to the local history room